August 28, 2008
- another repetition that i should have included in the video but didn’t was lo’s long walk across the yard into a dramatic confrontation with audrina in the first episode of this season which was a clear repetition of lauren’s long walk across the yard into a dramatic confrontation from last season’s finale. again, the newer version was much weaker. also the previously discussed “whitney is good at work” scene.
- robbe-grillet probably would have liked the hills: “But the new realism that Robbe-Grillet advocates with the nouveau roman is not the rendering of the “lifelike” and the “typical.” “In this new realism,” he writes, “it is therefore no longer verisimilitude that is at issue. The small detail which ‘rings true’ no longer holds the attention of the novelist . . . ; what strikes him . . . is more likely, on the contrary, the little detail that rings false.””
- this season, though, for all its repetition and lack of emotion, is striking me as less nouveau roman, less l’ecriture feminine, and more…uh…clip show? “Clip shows today tend to offset such criticism by trying to make the frame tale surrounding the clips compelling, or by presenting clip shows without any framing device. A show might also diffuse the awkwardness by indulging in self-parody, explicitly acknowledging or intentionally over-playing the device.”
- still, even if the art of the hills isn’t as cutting edge as it once was, the commerce is totally avant garde. from media week: “As MTV’s flagship hit, The Hills functions as a laboratory of sorts for the ad sales and marketing people, a venue where MTV can experiment with pod structure and an array of pod-busting initiatives. “
- (related: the salary thing which everybody has posted already)
- i haven’t seen last year at marienbad. i really really want to. netflix doesn’t deliver to korea so i wish people would stop uploading divx cam copies of the house bunny and get on that, please.
- a french role playing game about the hills. i’m not kidding. (via HLJ)
- my favorite book about repetition and reenactments
- did anybody else hear an echo of mccain in the doug-lauren “yr house/yr laguna house” exchange?
- also on politics, a correspondent sent in this very entertaining comparison of speidi and the clintons. not to horn toot, but i still feel that i set the standard for this sort of thing (also).
- notes on lo
- there are few things i dislike more than improv/sketch comedy. cats, fake cheese, joy. i like janeane garofalo, though i much prefer rush or sean to air america.
- i just don’t know what do with overdosin. i just don’t. i feel much more comfortable with the fake virgin thing since i basically already covered it in my madonna/the madonna fake family planning discussion.
August 21, 2008
- a bit that got cut from the monologue: “if lauren and heidi are feminist heros, spencer is definitely some sort of existential hero. he’s stuck in this land of women where he is not in charge and can’t be, but he’s smart, he recognizes his situation and recognizes that he’s not in charge, that the old style of masculine posturing and action won’t do anything for him. therefore, he rebels by inaction, not by bowing up his chest or waving around his dick or shoving his hand up skirts, but by doing absolutely nothing. he rebels against his powerlessness by reveling in it, by embracing it, by spending all his time on the couch, growing out his ugly facial hair like some homebound Samson, playing XBOX and sleeping till noon.”
- cause everybody knows / she’s a femme fatale.
- i love justinbobby eternally for wearing a leather jacket to a pool party in los angeles in the summer.
- the interface seems kind of retarded to me but i still think this is a very smart move (here’s a thought, mtv: most people who buy online music do it through itunes. in order to spend their money on your site, they will want to be comfortable with it. one way to make them comfortable is to give them something they are familiar with. so, how about ripping off itunes instead of giving me this confusing, laggy broke-ass wheel-carousel shit?)
- this site, meanwhile, continues to be a total letdown. it makes nonsociety look good.
- do i even have to draw the connection? we can rebuild her, we have the technology, blah blah blah.
- this report makes me almost as happy as when i heard that anecdote about michelle obama being able to recognize brady bunch episodes by the opening shots. live every week like it’s shark week.
August 17, 2008
i had to sit through the trailer for the house bunny about fifty times to capture these clips. stupid wordpress won’t let me embed the high quality version but please click through and watch that instead – it’s much prettier.
- “the climax of impressionism” (also: in flash) (previously: lauren’s opinion of monet)
- “the qualities that make Empire a precursor to reality TV—no script, elevation of the mundane—would seem to encourage sampling”
- originally i was going to copy this but i didn’t like the way the rewritten voice-over sounded and also i couldn’t come up with a west coast equivalent of “rhapsody in blue” (what, like “surf’s up” or something?)
- ciao manhattan – how LA learned to love modern art (featuring the obligatory but lovely dennis hopper “talking ’bout the sixties” talking head)
- “an alphabetical directory of locations used in the hit MTV reality show, “the hills.”” (via HLJ)
- soundtrack: “experience the world in awe and wonder… without being cheesy”